Thursday, November 3, 2016

Oh, Helicopter!

Oh, Helicopter
Paula J. Sanders-Nelson
Originally published at HypeKast.com

Recently, I gave my post-millennial students a very complicated research assignment. Each student would have to find current or historical articles about a famous family member or
 friend of the family. To my surprise, the most difficult task proved to be having a conversation with family members to discern things about people in their families. The assignment 
quickly fell apart. Parents immediately started emailing disclaimers that there was 
NOTHING to discover, no family available or the typical “woe is my child” excuse. 
So, I relented and revised the assignment so that they had to research the meaning 
and origin of their family name and then locate 3 positive articles, current or historical,
 about someone with the same sur name. I even provide the website the students could 
use to look up surname origins and meaning.

The excuses piled in from parents. My inbox was full!

I even helped a student find amazing information on a relative, while in my class and 
she still failed to get the assignment completed once she got home. She hadn’t even 
tried outside of class to research any further.

Parents continued on the attack:

“What does this have to do with English class?”
“It’s teaching students to use the internet as a 
research tool.” 

“Can they do something else?” 
“No, I’ve already modified the assignment.” 

“Can they have more time? This was really hard.” 
“No, I have given a grace period of four days instead 
of the regulated three, with 10 points off for each day that it is late. Sorry.”

Parent conferences have been scheduled. Calls to the principal have been made.

On the flip side of this disastrous assignment, students 
who did go home and have an actual conversation with 
Mom and Dad produced amazing work. 
I read about a parent risking her life to get out of Vietnam 
and to America, a grandfather who is a veteran sports writer 
and another relative who is an innovative educator in the Caribbean.

The students who tackled the assignment not only walked 
away proudly with an excellent mark, but they discovered a 
new source of pride in their family. Most of all, I am thankful 
for the parents who didn’t make lame-ass excuses or attack 
the teacher for having the audacity to challenge their child 
with an assignment that would force them to look at 
who they are and where they come from.

This assignment gave me great insight into David T Conley’s position that our students 
are ill equipped to handle the rigors of college. I’ve come to believe that his theory is valid 
and is mainly due to all the damn wind being generated from their helicopter parents 
blowing every assignment with the slightest challenge way 
out of proportion.